What is Ho’oponopono? Ho’oponopono has been used by Hawaiian Healers for hundreds and hundreds of years. It is based on an ancient ritual of spirit cleansing for our entire existence going back to the moment of our creation. It is comprised of three elements; repentance, forgiveness and transmutation.
Ancient Hawaiians believe that we exist as a physical being and an energy being. We carry the energy of ourselves, our family, relatives and ancestors with us in this life. In addition, our Subconscious Mind has recorded every memory of every experience we’ve had since our birth. We carry toxic energy from previous stress, illnesses and all manner of painful memories, whether it be anxiety, guilt, grief, frustration, regret or other negative attitudes and habits.
Teachers of Ho’oponopono teach that a problem is simply a memory that is replaying incessantly and monopolizing our Mind. A problem is also referred to as an error. We’ll go into this in more depth later. For now, I’d like to share with you how Ho’oponopono has been updated for use in our modern day life.
Ho’oponopono was first updated for today’s use by Morrnah Nalamaku Simeona, Kahuna Lapa’au (now deceased) who was recognized as a Living Treasure of Hawaii in 1983. Kahuna means “keeper of the secret” and Lapa’au means “A specialist in healing.” She was chosen to be Kahuna when very young and received her gift of healing at age three. Morrnah is the daughter of a member of the court of Queen Liliuokalani, who was the last sovereign of the Hawaiian Islands. For years she partnered with a previous student named Dr. Ihaleakala Hew Len. Ihaleakala is now the president and administrator of the Foundation of I, Inc.
The version we are learning about is a modernization of Ho’oponopono that is so effective, both Morrnah and Ihaleakala have taught this method at the United Nations, the World Health Organization, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the International Human Unity Conference of World Peace, the World Peace Conference, the Traditional Indian Medicine Conference, the Healers for Peace in Europe and the Hawaiian State Teachers Association.
Here is the liturgy that Morrnah Nalamaku Simeona taught:
“Divine Creator, father, mother, son as one. If I or my family or my relatives or ancestors have offended you, your family, your relatives or ancestors in any thought, word, deed or action from the beginning of my creation to this present time, we ask your forgiveness. May this cleanse, purify and release any memories, blocks, energies and vibrations and transmute these unwanted energies into pure LIGHT. And it is done. Thank-you.”
Dr. Ihaleakala Hew Len teaches another modernized cleansing tool. It’s called The Four Phrases and it goes like this:
Please forgive me.
I love you.
All of this looks too easy and simple because our Western minds are only used to intellectualizing every experience we have. Our mind likes to manage problems not solve them. It likes to react, think and think, analyze, cope and think some more. But hey, if this has been taught to groups such as the United Nations and the World Peace Organization, I say, let’s look at it more closely! Other people are getting huge benefits from this, so there must be something of value here!
In order to understand Ho’oponopono, we need to look at the Hawaiian belief system that forms the foundation of this practice.
Ancient Hawaiian Beliefs:
1. Divine Intelligence: This is a term synonymous with God, Creator, Love, Higher Intelligence, Divine Consciousness or All-That-Is-Divine. In this article I have used the terms ‘Divine Intelligence’ and ‘All-That-Is-Divine’ interchangeably. Divine Intelligence is a state of infinity where we are at ONE with All-That-Is-Divine. This is the creator of our Self I-Dentity. (see #8 Belief))
2. We originate as ONE with Divinity, Love, Highest Intelligence, God, Creator or whatever word fits with you. We are made perfect, whole, complete, made in the likeness of Divinity and timeless—a perfect state. When we are memory free (problem free), we are one with our Divine Self as Divinity created us to be. Every memory of every experience, since the first moment of our creation is recorded as a thought form in our subconscious mind and in the process, we become the sum total of all our experiences.
3. All problems begin as thoughts: Having the thought is not the problem. The problem is that our thoughts become permeated with painful memories of persons, places or experiences.
4. At our creation we have no memories or problems. This is our foundation—infinity. Ancient Hawaiians refer to this as the VOID. It’s hard to comprehend with our modern day intellect, but this place, this VOID is the timeless foundation of the entire cosmos, both seen and unseen, both understood and not understood. Here is where Divinity (Creator, God, Love) creates us into a state called Self I-Dentity. This is where we reside as one with our Divine Intelligence, our Creator, our Higher Intelligence, or our God. Memories prevent the inflow of Inspiration from Divine Intelligence into our Mind
5. Memories create our existence: Our existence is the sum total of all of our experiences. Our brain inputs data from our sensory system. Our conscious mind then connects that data to a memory already stored in our subconscious mind. Nothing makes sense to us unless that connection is made. I am looking out of my window at a tree. I know it is a tree because the data that is coming into my mind is now connected to a previous experience of a tree. Our memories in our subconscious mind create our existent. My world is different than your world because I have different memories attached to incoming data. My memories of snow are based on experiences of happiness and joy as I frolicked with my siblings. Someone else lost someone dear to them on snow covered icy road. Their experience of snow is attached to very different memories than mine. See how this works. This is why we say that we exist as the sum total of all of our experiences.
6. Ho’oponopono is a process of returning to our perfect state: ‘Ho’ means “cause” and ‘oponopono’ means “perfection”. Ho’oponopono is a process of returning to our perfect state, becoming ‘One’ again with Infinite Divine Intelligence. It is a simple, practical, powerful process that gives us the opportunity to restore ourselves as ‘One” with our infinite Divine Self (Our Self I-Dentity).
7. Our purpose: Our existence is a gift from Divine Intelligence. It is given to us so that we may fulfill our purpose which is to re-establish our Self I-Dentity as we exist as physical beings. We are restored back to be as ONE with All-That-Is-divine.
8. Self I-Dentity: this is the state we originated in at our creation. When we exist as Self I-Dentity, we are at one with All-That-Is-Divine. It is comprised of four aspects all working together as one unit. Our Divine Intelligence, our Superconscious Mind, our Conscious Mind and our Subconscious Mind work together releasing toxic energy (problems) that is created by our memories replaying in our Subconscious Mind. Self I-Dentity operates by Inspiration and memory. In any given moment, only one of them can be in command of the Subconscious Mind.
9. Transmutation: It is simply the process by which toxic energy (from memories) changes into a different form, in this case the energy of stress or a problem is changed into a One-ness with Divine Intelligence or All-That-Is-Divine.
10. Conscious Mind: Here is where all our choices originate. Here is where you initiate the process of Ho’oponopono.
11. Subconscious Mind: This is the storehouse of all the accumulated memories from the beginning of our creation. This is the place where experiences are experienced as memories replaying or as inspiration. Here is where your body and your world as you know it, reside as memories replaying. Here is where problems live on as memories replaying incessantly.
12. Super Conscious Mind: Oversees the Conscious and Sub Conscious Minds. It reviews and makes appropriate changes in the Ho’oponopono petition to Divine Intelligence which is initiated by the Conscious Mind. It is unaffected by memories replaying in the Subconscious Mind. It is always ONE with All-That-Is-Divine.
13. The Void: Void is the indestructible and timeless foundation of the entire cosmos, both seen and unseen. Hawaiians believe that Divine Intelligence transmutes memories to Void. Toxic energy is changed into the energy of pure Divinity. The Void is a state of pure, positive, infinite energy. It is, essentially, a place of nothing because ‘nothing’ can not be judged or improved upon.
Don’t worry if you don’t understand this at this point. It’s difficult for our Western minds to grasp intangible concepts of energy transmuting and transforming infinitely. The nice thing about Ho’oponopono is that you don’t have to understand it to use it. Most of us use computers and the internet without clearly understanding what they are, and how they do it. We receive many benefits from this technology and Ho’oponopono is much the same!
Problems, Memories and Inspiration
We are energetically burdened from our past.
All problems begin as thoughts. Thoughts trigger emotions. Our Subconscious Mind fills up with all manner of painful memories. Memories activate emotions and the result is stress or imbalance in our energy. A problem, whether big or small is simply a toxic memory replaying incessantly in our mind. Ho’oponopono is a petition to Love or Divine Creator to clear these toxic energies from yourself, your family, your relatives and your ancestors. Remember, our Subconscious Mind associates an action in the ‘now’ to a memory that happened in the past.
(See Belief #11)
All Inspiration is a creation of the All-That-is-Divine. It manifests in the Subconscious Mind, where you experience it as a new occurrence. When you experience Inspiration you feel in the flow of happiness, joyfulness and love.
There are only two states in our Subconscious Mind. Either our Subconscious Mind is incessantly replaying a memory or it is receiving Inspiration. Replaying memories dictate what the Subconscious Mind experiences. It sees and behaves and feels and makes decisions based on what memories are dictating to it.
Memories preclude Inspiration.
Memory dictates everything.
It is essential to realize that both the Subconscious Mind and the Conscious Mind do not generate experiences of their own. Memory dictates everything. All life experiences are either expressions of memories replaying or they are Inspiration.
Simply put, all life experiences either feel bad (replaying memory) or they feel good (Inspiration).
Look inside yourself.
The purpose of Ho’oponopono is to connect with the All-That-is-Divine within us and be cleansed of all the toxic, stress causing energy of unwanted memories that we have accumulated right back to our ancestors. If you are experiencing stress or imbalance or illness, it can all be corrected by working on your inside-self. Every negative experience (including people that hurt you) is a reflection of what’s going on in your Mind.
Stop looking outward.
Blame no one.
Your outside world is created by your thoughts.
Be 100% Responsible
The first step in practicing Ho’oponopono is to take 100% responsibility for you and everything that is showing up in your world.
The Process of Ho’oponopono
Ho’oponopono is the way out of problems, obstacles, stress and illness. Ho’oponopono is the way to be restored back to Self I-Dentity; at ONE with All-That-Is-Divine. Our memories (in our Subconscious Mind) can only be erased by Divinity. Divinity created us so we can go directly to Divinity and ask that each memory be cleansed and transmuted into pure light (Love, Creator, God, All-That-Is-Divine.)
This is a whole new way of living. Up until now, your intellect tackles every problem that you perceive. But intellect can’t restore you to your Self I-Dentity. You want to let your problems go. Ho’oponopono takes a painful thought or memory and neutralizes or purifies it. The person, place or thing that you associate with that memory does not need purifying. It’s the energy that is associated with those memories that needs purifying.
Here’s how Ho’oponopono works.
First you notice a problem you are experiencing physically, emotionally or mentally. You don’t need to know any details of this problem or error. You don’t have to analyze or even understand the problem. If the problem is with another person, just ask yourself, “What is it inside of me that is causing this negativity with this person?” Then it is simple; you begin purifying or cleansing with repentance, forgiveness and transmutation.
Please forgive me.
We ask for forgiveness for not only ourselves, but for our family members, relatives, and ancestors because we don’t know if a problem happened in our lifetime or previously in our existence. Maybe your great-great-grandfather stole some horses. So we begin with repentance.
Example: “I’m sorry for whatever is going on inside of me that is causing these erroneous thoughts within me that have caused this problem with me and this person.”
You don’t need to go into anymore detail. Asking for forgiveness is not taking the blame or assuming that you have done something wrong. It is a willingness to respond and choose Ho’oponopono to deal with a memory that is running incessantly in your Mind.
(Thank-you, I love you)
Not only does toxic energy get neutralized or cleansed, it is also released leaving behind a brand new space because we don’t want to pollute the cosmos with our discarded negative energy. Pure light doesn’t contaminate and Divinity immediately flows into the new space.
All-That-Is- Divine flows through the Mind, beginning with the SuperConscious Mind and then flowing through the Conscious Mind freeing all the energy of our negatively charged memories. Lastly it moves into the Subconscious Mind, releasing the toxic energy and replacing it with itself—Love, Divinity, Creator, or God.
We return to that state of Oneness by asking for anything less than Oneness with Divine Intelligence to be released. We affect change in our world by affecting change inside ourselves.
We thank the memories for showing up. Each problem is an opportunity to rid yourself, your family, your relatives and your ancestors of toxic energy.
Example: “Memories, thank you so much for showing up. Now I have the chance to free myself. Thank you!”
Repentance, forgiveness and transmutation are also found in the liturgy taught by Morrnah Nalamaku Simeona.
Divine Creator, father, mother, son as one. (this refers to all four aspects of your Mind; Superconscious, Subconscious, Conscious and Divine Intelligence (Love, God, Creator, All-That-Is-Divine).
(Repentance) If I or my family, or relatives or ancestors have offended your family, relatives or ancestors in any thought, word, deed or action, from the beginning of our creation to this present time, We ask your forgiveness. May this cleanse, purify, release, cut all negative memories, blocks, energies and vibrations and transmute these unwanted energies into pure Light. And it is done. Thank-you.”
A short summary:
All negative energy in us is caused by memories replaying over and over again in our Subconsciuos Mind. Repentance (I’m sorry) happens in my Conscious Mind as I take responsibility for creating, accepting and accumulating memories replaying problems.
The next step is asking forgiveness from All-That-Is-Divine.
Next comes transmutation which only Divinity can do. All-That-Is-Divine transmutes these memories (thought-forms of energy) into pure Light (energy). Next, Divine Intelligence releases the energy from my mind and I am back at One with Divinity. I am Self I-Dentity once more and I am flooded with inspiration and insights, guided by All-That-Is-Divine.
I know it sounds simple and easy. For hundreds of years it has been simple, easy, powerful and transforming. Now that Ho’oponopono is being taught around the world, thousands of people are claiming all manner of benefits from using it. I hope you’ll give yourself permission to explore Ho’oponopono yourself and join those of us that are transforming our lives with it.
I do Ho’oponopono every morning and night using my Ho’oponopono Beads. These are gorgeous, one-of-a-kind beads that you hold in your hand and repeat the four phrases or the longer liturgy as you move from one bead to another. It’s a wonderful ritual and Ho’oponopono beads make a wonderful gift too.
To order, please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Each set of deluxe beads contains semi-precious gems and pearls.
Price: $91.55 CAN (includes free gratitude card!
Learn more at www.the-gratitude-project.com
Copyright 2007 Gizelle S. River
Based on the teachings of Dr. Ihaleakala Hew Len and Morrnah Nalamaku Simeona and the book, “Zero Limits, The Secret System for Wealth, Health, Peace and More.” By Joe Vitale and Ihaleakala Hew Len, PhD.
ISBN 978-0-470-10147-6 (cloth)
To learn more about Ho’oponopono visit www.zerolimits.com and www.hooponopono.org
Visit my blogs: http://the-vibe-viewpoint.blogspot.com and http://the-gratitude-project.blogspot.com